Post by : Bianca Haleem
Beirut, Lebanon: Lebanon’s government announced Monday that the army will need at least four months to implement the second phase of its plan to disarm Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.
The government had committed last year to disarm Hezbollah, which was weakened after its recent war with Israel. The army is tasked with executing the plan.
The first phase, covering the area from the Litani River to the Israeli border, has been completed, according to the military.
The second phase will focus on the area between the Litani and Awali rivers, about 40 kilometers south of Beirut. Information Minister Paul Morcos said the government “took note of the army leadership's presentation” on this stage.
Morcos added that the four-month timeline may be extended depending on available resources, Israeli attacks, and other challenges on the ground.
Israel, accusing Hezbollah of rearming, has criticized Lebanon’s progress and continues to conduct strikes despite a November 2024 ceasefire. Israel also maintains troops in five strategic areas in southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem condemned the government’s disarmament efforts, calling them a “grave sin” and blaming Lebanon’s concessions for ongoing Israeli attacks.
On the same day, Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon killed two people, while Israel said it targeted Hezbollah operatives.
Top AI Leaders and World Leaders Gather in Delhi for India AI Summit 2026
India holds its first global AI Impact Summit in Delhi with top AI CEOs, world leaders, and 250,000
Sharjah International Education Summit Concludes 5th Edition Successfully
Global education leaders gathered in Sharjah to shape sustainable, inclusive, and technology-driven
RMS Signs MoU with Japan’s Shonan Kamakura General Hospital
The agreement aims to strengthen Bahrain–Japan healthcare cooperation through training, research, an
Shaikh Mohammed bin Salman Opens 52nd Bahrain Annual Fine Arts Exhibition
The 52nd edition of the Bahrain Annual Fine Arts Exhibition was inaugurated at Bahrain National Muse
Crown Prince of Bahrain Concludes Private Visit to Oman
HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa departs Muscat after completing a short private visit to the
Veteran UAE Photographer Ramesh Shukla Passes Away, Leaving Behind a Lasting Legacy
Ramesh Shukla, the photographer behind the iconic image of the UAE’s founding, passed away on Februa